Middle Eastern air carrier Qatar Airways has been in a long and lengthy battle with European aircraft manufacturer Airbus for quite some time. The battle is over the highly controversial defects to the Airbus A350. The battle has to do with many chips of paint, as well as window cracks, and erosion of the lightning protection shield. The battle consists of Airbus claiming that the A350 has only minor cosmetic details and these do not affect the flight of the aircraft, while Qatar says it is an issue of safety, and that these defects do affect flight.

Problems started back in June 2021, when the Qatar Civil Aviation Authority started grounding individual planes. Currently, 21 out of the 53 aircraft are sitting on the ground due to safety concerns. Qatar, which has another 37 A350s to be delivered, is asking Airbus to stop delivering aircraft until they fix the problems. The airline is also looking for financial composition from the manufacturer.
Qatar is looking for a heft of $618 million dollars as well as $4 million dollars every day the 21 aircraft are still grounded. On April 26th of this year the initial hearing for Airbus vs Qatar will be held in court. With that date being over 80 days away since Qatar said their price, it could amount to another $300 million dollars being added on.

In the meantime, Qatar is taking its business elsewhere, specifically to the United States. The Gulf area operator has taken their business to Boeing, placing an order for up to 50 Boeing 737 MAX 10s, and up to 50 Boeing 777-8F. For now, the world must wait until courts can take a look at the facts presented by both sides, it will continue to be a deadlock, or we could see a settlement outside of the court.
Airliners International Offers Airport Insider Tours: Sign Up Today! » A Southwest 737's Cockpit Windscreen Shattered at Cruising Altitude Over Oklahoma » The EDM Tool Revolutionizing Fastener Removal in Aerospace Maintenance »
Comments (0)
Add Your Comment
TAGS
NEWS Airbus QatarA350xwbQatar AirwaysRECENTLY PUBLISHED
The US Has Lost More Than 40 Aircraft in 40 Days Over Iran and Congress Is Only Now Finding Out How Much It All Cost
A Congressional Research Service report dated May 13, 2026, has formally documented what aviation and defence analysts had been tracking piecemeal since late February, that the United States military lost or sustained damage to more than 40 aircraft during Operation Epic Fury.
NEWS
READ MORE »
American Airlines Will Not Return to Tel Aviv Until 2027
American Airlines has formally extended the suspension of its New York JFK to Tel Aviv service through January 2027, the airline confirmed on Sunday, May 17, pushing back a return that has now been delayed, cancelled, rescheduled, and cancelled again across a span of more than two and a half years.
ROUTES
READ MORE »
Four Navy Aircrew Parachuted to Safety After Their Two Jets Locked Together and Fell Out of the Sky at an Idaho Air Show
All four aircrew aboard two United States Navy EA-18G Growler jets survived a dramatic and extraordinarily rare midair collision at the Gunfighter Skies Air Show at Mountain Home Air Force Base in western Idaho.
NEWS
READ MORE »
More than just headlines.
Get unlimited ad-free access to in-depth aviation news, premium stories, and exclusive insights other sites don't cover.
- Ad-free browsing on AeroXplorer
- Unlimited access to premium and exclusive articles
- Higher photo upload limits & commissions on sales
- Free access to Jetstream Magazine on higher tiers
- Ad-free browsing
- Sell aviation photos with 60% commission
- First week free!
- Everything in Basic+
- Unlimited premium articles
- Sell aviation photos with 70% commission
- Free Digital subscription to Jetstream Magazine
- First week free!
- Everything in Basic+ and Pro
- Sell aviaiton photos with 80% commission
- Early access to exclusive stories
- Free Digital+Print subscription to Jetstream Magazine