U.S. Eases Restrictions on Flights from China

U.S. Eases Restrictions on Flights from China

BY CALVIN STEWART AGO 0 COMMENTS
Credit: Bella Nava

 

The US Department of Transportation has backtracked on a previous order which banned Chinese carriers from flying to the US. In an order published June 5, the Department of Transportation said that it will permit Chinese carriers "to operate... a total of two weekly round-trip scheduled passenger flights to and from the United States". Additionally, the order stated that these two flights would be operated "by one or two of the Chinese carriers currently operating scheduled combination service to the United States". Each of the four Chinese carriers currently operates 1 weekly service each, which will now change. Only one or two of these carriers will be allowed to operate.

 

This feud between the United States and China began when China said they would not allow Delta and American to operate during the month of June, saying that they had based flight permissions off of airline activity as of March 12. The United States had already suspended flights to China at this time. With President Trump's approval, the Department of Transportation retaliated, issuing an order preventing Chinese carriers from operating to the US past June 16. The CAAC(Civil Aviation Administration of China) then permitted one US flight per airline per week, and now the US is responding in kind. 

 

 

China Airlines Airbus A330-300
Credit: Arthur Chow

 

 

These restrictions come as tensions between the United States and China are escalating, partially due to China's seizure of Hong Kong. Because of this, the President may try to use his power over Chinese airlines to negotiate with China, although that is pure speculation. 

 

 

Calvin Stewart
Bay Area photojournalist.

Comments (0)

Add Your Comment

SHARE

TAGS

NEWS China Chinese airline United States Trump department of transportation flights

RECENTLY PUBLISHED

Three of Europe's Biggest Airlines Have Extended Their Middle East Suspensions, and the Restart Dates Are Further Away Than Many Passengers Hoped Three of Europe's largest airline groups have simultaneously extended their Middle East flight suspensions, with British Airways pushing its restart further into summer, the Lufthansa Group holding off a return to Dubai until mid-September, and Air France emerging as the most optimistic of the three with planned resumptions beginning as early as late May. NEWS READ MORE »
United Airlines Flew Passengers Across the Pacific for 13 Hours With No Screens, No Wi-Fi and No Way to Charge Their Devices A routine transpacific journey turned into an uncomfortable test of endurance for passengers aboard United Airlines flight UA-804 after a technical fault rendered the entire cabin entertainment infrastructure inoperable for the full duration of the flight. NEWS READ MORE »
Atlanta Just Voted to Study Replacing TSA at the World's Busiest Airport The Atlanta City Council voted unanimously on Monday, May 18, 2026, to commission a formal feasibility study into replacing federal TSA security screening at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport with a private contractor under the government's existing Screening Partnership Programme. NEWS READ MORE »


SHOP

$2999
NEW!AeroXplorer Aviation Sweater Use code AVGEEK for 10% off! BUY NOW

FOLLOW US ONLINE