Denver-based ultra-low-cost carrier Frontier Airlines announced a plethora of new routes in time for the summer season today. Double-digit fares are currently available on certain routes and dates between Jun. 7 and Oct. 10, 2021 from the focus cities of Denver, Las Vegas, Dallas-Ft. Worth, and Salt Lake City. The routes are as follows:
|Origin||Destination||Starting Date (all in 2021)||Days of the Week|
|Las Vegas (LAS)||Durango, Colo. (DRO)||Jun. 11||Mon. and Fri.|
|Salt Lake City (SLC)||Chicago (ORD)||Jun. 10||Tues. and Thurs.|
|SLC||Dallas (DFW)||Jun. 10||Tues. and Thurs.|
|Denver (DEN)||Anchorage (ANC)||Jun. 9||Wed. (to ANC)|
Thurs. (to DEN)
|DEN||DRO||Jun. 8||Tues. and Thurs.|
|DEN||Grand Junction, Colo. (GJT)||Jun. 8||Tues. and Thurs.|
|DEN||Kalispell, Mont. (FCA)||Jun. 17||Tues. and Thurs.|
|Dallas (DFW)||Ontario, Calif. (ONT)||Jun. 11||Mon., Wed., Fri.|
|DFW||SLC||Jun. 10||Tues. and Thurs.|
What You Need to Know
Where can I book these flights/what are the stipulations?
You can book at this link: https://www.flyfrontier.com/deals/sales/introsale?mobile=true. Use the widget next to the route map to select your flight. Fare prices are one-way and only available until 11:59 EDT on Apr. 19. Blackout dates also apply when the prices are not available.
You will probably not be able to choose a specific seat. Many of the cheapest fares are only available for members of Frontier’s Discount Den program, which costs $60 per year.
What should I know about flying Frontier?
Frontier is an ultra-low-cost-carrier, which is different than budget airlines like Southwest. Nothing is included in the price of the ticket except your seat, which you may not even be able to choose (which is what allows the fares to be so cheap in the first place). However, the benefit is that you will still save money overall because you can decide which "extras" are really necessary and which are not. Compared to legacy carriers, you may not be used to the following conditions:
- You must pay to choose your seat.
- You must pay for checked and carry-on bags, regardless of how many you bring.
- You do not need to pay to bring a "Personal Item" (something small that fits under your seat like a laptop).
- Bag and seat selection fees are assessed per person.
- The longer you wait to pay for anything, it will cost more. To get the cheapest fare, buy any extras while booking your flight.
- You can bundle these prices to save money. The bundles are "The Works" and "The Perks."
- Unless you pay for a bundle, you will have to pay change and cancellation fees.
- Seats do not recline and there is limited legroom, even compared to economy class on the legacy carriers. You will need to pay for "Stretch Seating" to get the standard 30-31" of legroom and the ability to recline. Stretch Seating passengers also get to deplane first.
- There is no Wi-Fi or entertainment onboard (Download a movie on your phone before you go).
- Food and beverages are available, but you must pay for them.
- Some credit cards offer perks, so does having elite status.
What's at these destinations, anyway?
You may not be familiar with Ontario, Durango, Grand Junction, and/or Kalispell.
- Ontario is a suburban city located east of Los Angeles in Southern California's "Inland Empire" region. There is little to see from a tourist standpoint, but it is the closest major airport to some of Southern California's inland destinations like Riverside County and Death Valley National Park.
- Located north of the New Mexico border, Durango is tucked into a valley in southwest Colorado at the southern end of the Rocky Mountains. It is best known as a jumping-off point for recreational opportunities such as Mesa Verde National Park, Canyon of the Ancients National Monument, San Juan National Forest, and more.
- Grand Junction, also located in Colorado, is in the Western Slope region of the state. The largest city between Salt Lake City and Denver, it forms the center of Colorado's Wine Country. Again, there are outdoor options abound like Colorado National Monument, Dinosaur National Monument, McInnis Canyon, and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.
- Kalispell is yet another resort town in northern Montana, mostly occupied by tourists visiting one of America’s most popular national parks, Glacier National Park, a vast alpine area adjacent to the Canada border.
How is Frontier protecting passengers from Covid-19?
According to their website, passengers are required to wear a face covering at all times. HEPA filters have been installed onboard, and temperature checks are mandatory besides a self-evaluation. The CDC does not recommend traveling by plane unless absolutely necessary, though it is much safer if you have already been fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
Surf Air and “All-You-Can-Fly Passes”: The Rise of Subscription-Based Airlines » BREAKING: Vistara and Air India to Merge » Mooney Crashes Into Power Lines in Gaithersburg, MD »